Saturday, March 18, 2006

There is no Crying in Baseball

I grew up in a small town in New York and went to Webutuck High School. Our mascot was the Warrior and I can not tell you how many time they talked about changing the mascot because it was deemed offensive. It has been a debate country-wide. Are mascots like the redskins, indians and.... braves.
Now a church in Richmond, Va has taken up the argument that the Braves mascot is offensive. The catch- Richmond is the home of the Atlanta Braves Double-A affiliate. The United Methodist Church has decided not to hold a convention in Richmond in protest of the name.
Boo Hoo.
Sorry, but as I have been directly involved in this argument while I was in HS I just don't care that they are having there convention in Tampa instead of Richmond. I honestly don't see how the mascot is that offensive. We live in a society that is so concerned with being politically correct that if the mascots were really that offensive they would have been gone a long time ago.
So, seriously if you don't like the team name, that is your opinion. I am sure the Devil Rays appreciate you coming to town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home